Nonprofit Financial Manager
The Catskill Center seeks an individual experienced in nonprofit accounting to fill the
position of Financial Manager. This individual will be responsible for all aspects of
financials management at the Catskill Center, including implementing GAAP, refining
internal financial procedures, creating and analyzing financial statements, creating
budgets, and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws related to 501c(3) financial
procedures, filings, and donations.
The Financial Manager will uphold the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and
integrity in maintaining and reporting on the Catskill Center’s financial accounts. Through
expert budget development, accurate financial management, insightful financial analysis,
and meticulous compliance with all applicable laws and granting agency contracts, this
individual will support the entire organization in furthering its mission and achieving its
The Financial Manager will report to the Executive Director and liaison with the Board of
Directors. This individual will supervisor and be assisted by the Database Manager.
This is a full-time office position based at the Eprf Center in Arkville, NY, the Catskill Center’s
headquarters. A flexible work schedule may be possible after an introductory period.
• Lead budget preparation, track spending, analyze financial data, and communicate
salient financial information in a meaningful way to Catskill Center Board and staff.
• Ensure all financial responsibilities of the organization are performed accurately, in a
timely manner, and through a process which safeguards the highest degree of ethical
• Supervise one assisting employee.
• Maintain banking and creditor relationships;
• Ensure payables, deposits, and invoices are accurately processed in a timely manner;
• Ensure accuracy of monthly account reconciliations;
• Review and refine accounting recordkeeping systems and procedures, as needed;
• Manage outsourced accounting functions;
• Accurately record all financial transactions in Quickbooks and Giftworks;
• Lead annual budget creation for the organization and its programs;
• Discuss anticipated variances from the established budget with management;
• Allocate expenses accurately;
• Monitor project spending;
• Review salaries being charged to projects and adjust to ensure correct allocation;
Financial Procedures & Controls
• Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements;
• Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures;
• Review, establish as needed, and monitor internal financial controls;
• Manage annual audit process in collaboration with Board Audit Committee;
Monitoring & Analysis
• Analyze and monitor fund and cash balances and keep executive team and project
staff informed of status and issues;
• Accurately analyze financials as requested;
• Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements;
• Expertly communicate financial information through clear, meaningful graphics and
financial statements, including reports to the Board of Directors;
Grants & Contracts
• Assist staff with developing budgets for grants and contracts;
• Track & plan project spend-out with relevant staff.
Other duties as assigned.
Previous experience in a similar role is strongly preferred. Preference will be given to candidates
with verifiable success in providing nonprofit accounting services. An MBA in Finance or
Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations preferred, but
• Verifiable financial recordkeeping, compliance, and accounting competencies;
• Experience developing and managing annual budgets of at least $1 million;
• Expert management of online records, accounts, and e-mail communications;
• Experience working with non-profits and/or government agencies;
• Excellent analytical, organizational, and time-management skills;
• Ability to perform complex work with minimal supervision;
• Skilled in Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks;
• Strong record of integrity, discretion, and ethical sensibility;
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or similar field;
• Minimum of 5 years of experience with progressive responsibility and demonstrated
success in nonprofit financial management and accounting;
Strong candidates will have some of the following skills and qualifications:
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Experience supervising staff;
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Giftworks, and Quickbooks; and
• Passion for the environment and/or the Catskills.
The position offers a comprehensive benefits package and regionally competitive salary,
commensurate with experience. Anticipated range: $50,000 - $58,000.
The Catskill Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Background and credit checks will be required prior to hire.
Please send application package, including cover letter, resume, and three professional
references to email@example.com. Position open until filled. No calls please.
About the Catskill Center
The Catskill Center preserves and enriches the environmental, economic and cultural wellbeing
of the Catskill region through collaboration, inspiration and stewardship. We believe
that the vitality and prosperity of the Catskills depend on robust collaboration, thriving local
communities and the wise stewardship of our natural resources.
Since its founding in 1969, the Catskill Center has partnered with regional organizations and
local and state governments to balance the preservation of the region’s natural beauty and
environmental integrity with a commitment to advancing sustainable economic
development within Catskill communities.
For more information about the work of the Catskill Center, visit www.catskillcenter.org.