Join us in Albany and raise your voice for the good of the Catskills!
Each year the Catskill Center and the Catskill Park Coalition lead a band of supporters and volunteers in Albany to meet with legislators and agencies in discussions regarding the needs of the Catskill Park, Catskill Forest Preserve and our Catskill communities.
In 2017, this annual Catskill Park Awareness Day event generated a historic $15 million for the Catskill Park, including infrastructure improvements, continued community Smart Growth Grants and funding for improvements to the Belleayre Ski Center.
Sign up via the form below to get involved!
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED TO LET THE GOVERNOR AND THE LEGISLATURE KNOW THAT THE CATSKILL PARK IS IMPORTANT TO US! IT ONLY TAKES A FEW QUICK PHONE CALLS TO LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
SPEND THE DAY WITH US IN ALBANY
Help make the Catskills personal for all 63 state senators, 150 members of the New York State Assembly and Governor Cuomo by shaking hands and sharing five minutes of what’s so special about the Catskills.
We'll gather in the the Grand Concourse in Empire State Plaza at 9:00 AM, enjoy a kickoff presentation and keynote speaker, take part in four or five meetings with legislators, and plan to leave the capital by 4:00 PM.
CALL THE GOVERNOR’S OFFICE
518-474-8390. Ask him to support the Catskill Park Coalition’s $14m Catskill package and let him know why the Catskills are important to you. And please thank him for the AdventureNY program, $7.2m in 2017 Catskill Park funding and his efforts to promote the region.
CALL YOUR LOCAL ASSEMBLY MEMBER
Don’t know who they are? Find out!
CALL YOUR STATE SENATOR
Let them know that you support the Catskill Park Coalition’s Catskill Package and that you want them to support it. And that you vote! FInd my senator.
SEND A NOTE TO GOVERNOR CUOMO
Share your feelings about the Catskills and your interest in his continued support. And please don’t forget to thank him for all that he’s done for our region. We've got some sample text here to get you started.
WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF YOUR LOCAL PAPER
BUY A SHIRT + FUND THE MISSION
We’ve created a shirt to help raise funds for the materials needed for Catskill Park Day. Get yours here.
Whatever action you choose, please document it and share your advocacy on social media with the hashtag #catskillparkday2018
ps. If you email us at email@example.com after your call and let us know who you spoke with and any feedback you received. it will help us work to ensure support continues to grow for the Catskills and progress continues to be made.
With your help, we can improve the Catskill Park for all!
Catskill Park Coalition - 2018 Budget Priorities
2018 Catskill Park Package Funding of $14,350,000
1) Catskills Economic Development funding line in the amount of $500,000 directed towards the Catskill Watershed Corporation for shovel-ready access and stewardship projects across the Catskill Park
2) $10 million in funding to support Catskill Park stewardship, education, improvements and infrastructure maintenance by the NYSDEC and through:
Continuing the Adventure NY Program;
Supporting stewardship line in the Environmental Protection Fund
Continuing Campground and DEC facility improvements;
Funding Smart Growth Grants for Catskill Park communities;
Continuing the Catskill Conservation Corps, Professional Trail Crews and Summit/Trail Stewards programs with partners;
Implement mountain biking plan at Belleayre Mountain; and
Feasibility study to connect Empire State Trail to Catskill Trail networks
3) Support the Maurice D. Hinchey Catskill Interpretive Center as the Visitor Center for the Catskill Park and the gateway to the Catskills region with funding for new exhibits and technology and annual operations support ($600,000: $500k for exhibits and $100k for operations)
4) Increase the budget and staffing for the NYSDEC’s Division of Lands and Forest to better manage Catskill Park. Hold annual Forest Ranger Academies to maintain and grow Ranger force to maintain public safety ($1,000,000)
5) Funding to support the “Save the Hemlocks” initiative led by Cornell University to reduce the impact of Hemlock Woolly Adelgid on hemlock trees by developing effective biocontrols ($1,500,000)
6) Push for carbon neutral/green infrastructure in new projects across the Catskill Park including electric vehicle charging stations and solar panel installations at State Campgrounds, the Catskill Interpretive Center and at Belleayre Ski Center ($500,000)
7) Support continued funding of the Belleayre Ski Center Unit Management Plan for projects not related to private resort expansion.
8) New funding for Catskill Park Scenic Byways to support regional byway coordination and management efforts led the Mountain Cloves Scenic Byway and the Catskill Mountain Scenic Byway organizations ($250,000)
JEFF SENTERMAN WILL LEAD TWO ADVOCACY PRIMER WORKSHOPS
Get introduced to the basics of advocacy in Albany and get tips for visiting with legislators and advice on how best to raise your voice and make a difference for the Catskills.
Attendees will also learn about the Catskill Park Coalition (which the Catskill Center Co-Chairs), about previous advocacy successes and learn more about the Coalition's 2018 priorities for the Catskill Park.
A call-in option is available at (845) 414-3399 for those who are unable to attend in person.
A $5 donation at the door is requested to help support advocacy efforts like this for the Catskills.