Raise your voice for the good of the Catskills!
Each year the Catskill Center and the Catskill Park Coalition lead a band of supporters and volunteers in Albany to meet with legislators and agencies in discussions regarding the needs of the Catskill Park, Catskill Forest Preserve and our Catskill communities. Learn about the 2019 legislative and budget priorities of the Catskill Park Coalition.
In 2018, this annual Catskill Park Awareness Day event generated a historic commitment for the Catskill Park, including infrastructure improvements, continued community Smart Growth Grants and funding for improvements to the Belleayre Ski Center.
Sign up via the form below to get involved!
LET THE GOVERNOR AND NYS LEGISLATURE KNOW THAT THE CATSKILL PARK IS IMPORTANT TO US!
IT ONLY TAKES A FEW QUICK PHONE CALLS TO HAVE YOUR VOICE HEARD.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
SPEND THE DAY WITH US IN ALBANY
Help make the Catskills personal for all 63 state senators, 150 members of the New York State Assembly and Governor Cuomo by shaking hands and sharing five minutes of what’s so special about the Catskills.
We'll begin gathering at 9:00 AM, enjoy a kickoff presentation and keynote speaker, take part in four or five meetings with legislators, and plan to leave the capital by 4:00 PM.
CALL THE GOVERNOR’S OFFICE
518-474-8390. Ask him to support the Catskill Park Coalition’s $15m Catskill Package and let him know why the Catskills are important to you. And please thank him for the AdventureNY program, 2018 Catskill Park funding and his efforts to promote the region.
CALL YOUR LOCAL ASSEMBLY MEMBER
Don’t know who they are? Find out!
CALL YOUR STATE SENATOR
Let them know that you support the Catskill Park Coalition’s Catskill Package and that you want them to support it. And that you vote! Find my senator.
SEND A NOTE TO GOVERNOR CUOMO
Share your feelings about the Catskills and your interest in his continued support. And please don’t forget to thank him for all that he’s done for our region. We've got some sample text here to get you started.
WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF YOUR LOCAL PAPER
Whatever action you choose, please document it and share your advocacy on social media with the hashtag #catskillparkday2019
ps. If you email us at email@example.com after your call and let us know who you spoke with and any feedback you received. it will help us work to ensure support continues to grow for the Catskills and progress continues to be made.
With your help, we can improve the Catskill Park for all!
Catskill Park Coalition - 2019 Budget Priorities
2019 Catskill Park Package Funding of $15,000,000
1) Aid to Localities funding in the amount of $500,000 directed towards the Catskill Watershed Corporation for shovel-ready access and stewardship projects across the Catskill Park
2) $10 million in funding to support Catskill Park stewardship, education, improvements and infrastructure maintenance by the NYSDEC and through:
Maintaining $300M Environmental Protection Fund and restoring NY Works funding for NYSDEC to $70M to provide adequate resources for all projects
Continuing the Adventure NY Program;
Supporting stewardship line in the Environmental Protection Fund
Supporting the Catskill Interpretive Center
Continuing Campground and DEC facility improvements;
Funding Smart Growth Grants for Catskill Park communities;
Continuing stewardship programs with nonprofit partners; and
Implementing mountain biking plan at Shandaken Wild Forest.
3) Increasing staffing for the NYSDEC’s Division of Lands and Forest in Region 3 and Region 4 to better manage Catskill Park ($500,000).
4) Providing funding to hold annual Forest Ranger Academies and grow Forest Ranger force to maintain public safety ($750,000)
5) Funding to support the “Save the Hemlocks” initiative led by Cornell University to reduce the impact of Hemlock Woolly Adelgid on hemlock trees by developing and implementing effective biocontrols ($1,500,000)
6) Push for carbon neutral/green infrastructure in new projects across the Catskill Park including electric vehicle charging stations and solar panel installations at State Campgrounds, the Catskill Interpretive Center and at Belleayre Ski Center ($500,000)
7) Support continued funding of the Belleayre Ski Center for projects not related to private resort expansion ($1,000,000).
8) New funding for Catskill Park Scenic Byways to support regional byway coordination and management efforts led by the Mountain Cloves Scenic Byway and the Catskill Mountain Scenic Byway organizations ($250,000)